Thursday, February 9, 2012

The World of Parenthood pt3



Parenthood 3.0
Falling Up Three Flights of Stairs.
By DMK
Web DMKarder 
View pt1 & pt2

The Goal
• To share that we are not alone.
• To educate through experience, those who follow.
• To learn from those who have walked ahead of me.

With the event of becoming a Grandfather, I am taking more and more time to evaluate my first days of parenthood. I watch the parents of my dear grandchild, attempting not to interfere with the critical process of learning. However, is it not important to learn from those who have walked the walk? An interesting time indeed, when we were there, we learned on the fly. I would love to have known then, what I know now.
The days come and go. 

Here is a snap shot of a certain song by Zeppelin:
"Good Times Bad Times"
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man,
Now I've reached that age, I've tried to do all those things the best I can.
No matter how I try, I find my way into the same old jam.

Good Times, Bad Times, you know I had my share…

What I do know is that in this time in history, it is the most difficult time to raise a child. To observe their struggle to understand what they face, we need to look at what is happening today verses what life was like when we walked in their shoes. What pressures are there today?

(AP)  WASHINGTON — Squeezed by a tight job market, young Americans are especially struggling. They have suffered bigger income losses than other age groups and are less likely to be employed than at any time since World War II. Full Story and Stats

The opening paragraph really sums it up; now add the costs of daycare.


Childcare for babies and toddlers
While your child is in the baby and toddler stages, you'll pay more. That's because kids this age need more hands-on care and so the center must hire more caregivers. The average cost of center-based daycare in the United States is $11,666 per year ($972 a month), but prices range from $3,582 to $18,773 a year ($300 to $1,564 monthly), according to the National Association of Child Care Resource & Referral Agencies (NACCRRA). Parents report higher costs – up to $2,000 a month for infant care – in cities like Boston and San Francisco. View Full Story

Shocking, one could find themselves working and making just enough to pay for daycare so they can work.

Great, Dave, where ya going with this?
Good question, it is obvious I find myself asking the same thing. 
I begin writing and let it go where it may. Yes, a therapy for myself, a method of exploration and maybe, possibly, answer my original question. More times than not, it opens more doors to more questions. Life is interesting, “the more I learn the less I know.” Socrates

I ponder a closing and I find myself at the phrase that started this observation.
Falling up three flights of stairs.
A topic recently covered, Unconditional Love.

Does that answer anything? Yes and no, I hear the answer, yet I am not at ease, aggravated yes. 
Round and round we go. We as longtime parents have deep insights, the library of knowledge is there, what to do with it, oh, what to do with it?

I will explore and share one little victory at a time.

Two days ago, the two month milestone for little Keleigh, today the twenty-third year milestone for papa Ken.

I look forward to your comments and knowledge.

Have a Great Day.
The Goal
• To share that we are not alone.
• To educate through experience, those who follow.
• To learn from those who have walked ahead of me.

Parenthood 3.0
Falling Up Three Flights of Stairs.
By DMK
Web DMKarder 
View pt1 pt2





No comments:

Post a Comment