Monday, January 23, 2012

The World of Parenthood

Parenthood 1.0
By DMK
Everyday is an adventure.
Follow on Twitter @slantdk

The Goal
To share that we are not alone.
To educate through experience, those who follow.
To learn from those who have walked ahead of me.
Every day is a new day, I turn to get out of bed and wonder what is in store for me. Socrates said it well, “The More I learn the less I know.” 

In a recent conversation with my younger brother, I confessed to him that even though I have twenty-three years of parental experience I have no idea how to be a parent of my two, twenty plus year old men. After a laugh, I comment, “My job is done, right?”

My sensible experienced mode says, “Take a deep breath, and take the time to think it through before responding to the situation.”

My knee-jerk response is obvious for those who know of what I speak. “Not my problem anymore!” 

The devil on my back, "this is your failure."

Tough Love is so very hard.

The legion of parents I stand with, share the many accomplishments: 
Survived the terrible twos.
The First Day of Kindergarten - (The child wave’s  good-bye, walking all on his own to his new classmates). 
Midnight trips to the emergency room - (Holding tight to his little hand, while the doctor stitches the wound).
Handing off the car keys - (for that first solo drive).
The list could go pages, the point is clear.  I know I am not alone. The members are many in the club of second-guessing.
This Parenthood blog is a work in progress, to live and grow - a project indeed.
The Goal
  • To share that we are not alone.
  • To educate through experience, those who follow.
  • To learn from those who have walked ahead of me.

I look forward to the conversations, your wisdom, your pain, and most of all your victories. 

UNAMED
The beauty of a rose stands tall atop a staff of thorns.
Love and Hate a fine line.
The breathe of a newborn warms an old heart.
Today, Yesterday, Tomorrow.
Stuck in the mud surrounded by quicksand.
The weight is heavy, at times unbearable, other times, life is as relaxing as the purple mountains beauty of a perfect sunset.
The journey long, feet tired and aching.
The days burn like the embers of the flame, time never slows, never takes a break. I stand, and trust tomorrow is a new day.
Tomorrow will arrive, tomorrow. Nature, sky and earth gaze upon me, and the silence of the wind shouts - Just breath. DMK

See the related blog Seasons



Good Day, Eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment