Monday, May 28, 2012

Parenthood - the Continuing Education


By DMK
A SlantedK Production
Got Twitter? Got SlantedK?
 @slantedk

In a previous Parenthood Entry, I shared a brief discussion with my brother. 

(Paraphrase) “With my sons in their twenties I shouldn’t need to do this parenthood thing anymore.” 

Yesterday my wife and I went to Tombstone; Memorial Day Weekend is big at Tombstone, the largest crowds and constant gunfight reenactments up and down the street. Many years this trip included my boys, the four of us walked up and down one of the historical points of my favorite topic. “The Wild West.”

During the day, our conversation included ‘reflecting.’
(That is what I call it ‘now,’ ‘then’ it was all worry.)
Sue asked a question “is it wrong that we remember so little of everything?” I paused, and later took into consideration translating the question into a blog; I thought this has to be a common feeling for parents at any stage.

From a father’s view of her question, I thought she was right, so many memories seemed blurred, and guilt stepped in. Did we do all we could? 

The answer is yes; we have done all we could.

Parenting is a class learned on the run, during the fire drills, and under extreme pressure at times. Parenting also means learning how to live each day with very little sleep. Yes, sleep deprivation survival is a distinction for every parent. 
To the new parents that might be reading this, sorry, get used to it. 
With the infant stage, we are a constant servant. The independent years stress is normal. The teen years we tend to sit on the couch and watch a clock, hoping they are enjoying life and coming home in one piece.

I didn’t intend to make it look so bleak. I share such information to let all the parents following our steps that it is normal to have these thoughts.

Back to Sue’s question, we parents cannot remember everything as a photo album. What I have noticed of late, certain events will trigger different memories as clear as the day it happened. To stand on Toughnut Street in Tombstone and recall a lifetime of memories will not happen. 
My response to her at that moment was, “we were very tired for a lot of the time.” The memories are there, they will always be there.

News flash!
PARENTING IS NOT ANYTHING LIKE 
“TEEN MOM” ON MTV!

Parenting is not a game, you will learn to be tough, and you will learn to do things you thought you could never do. The fact is you have no choice, the payment, and the reward, is a life filled with great memories, tough challenges and participating in the transformation of an infant into an adult.

Depression happens, don’t give in to it, you will cry, let the tears flow and move forward. You will laugh to the point of tears; laugh away. You will burn meals tending to the needs of the young one, that’s ok, mac and cheese is a solid back up.

You can do it and you will do it!

Below the excerpt are the links to the previous Parenthood Entries.

Here is an excerpt from a song in my library.
The genre may not fit the tastes of my many visitors; however, the words are so true.

"Back For More"
By Ivan Moody

Let's get it on!
It's time to get in the game,
You gotta fight 'til it hurts and then you do it again
Let's tear it up!
I'm staying straight to the core, ain't no room for second place, go big or go home!

Rise!
It's dog eat dog
Rise!
Man versus beast
Rise!
The strong will survive
Rise!
I've got no time for the weak

It's time to rise up, man up, get back up, never been and won't be broken
Dust off and then come back for more
You've gotta reach down, dig deep, and break ground,
Show them all you won't be beaten
Brush it off and then come back for more!
Come back for more
~*~
The Parenthood Library


 Thanks Guys, Have a Great Day!
A moment of silence for the fallen.



No comments:

Post a Comment